"And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God"
-- Micah 6:8

"The duty of the prosecutor is to seek justice, not merely to convict."
-- American Bar Association Standard 3-1.2(c)

"There may be a legitimate diversity of opinion even among Catholics about waging war and applying the death penalty, but not however with regard to abortion and euthanasia."
--Pope Benedict XVI, June 2004

Friday, May 26, 2006

Thanks alot, Ken

Thanks to the generosity of a colleague with a twisted sense of humor, I am now the proud owner of a new dartboard, er, I mean, a new book, the aptly-titled Indefensible by the the often indefensible cop-hating (see here for more), prosecutor-bashing (see here for more), potty-mouthed author of this blog bearing the same name as the book.

This guy's schtick is trashing the entire criminal justice system and all its players (except noble public defenders like himself) in some bizzare effort to make himself feel better about representing criminals. Most normal defense attorneys are able to understand that the majority of their clients are guilty and work within the system to reach the best outcome for them by working with the prosecutors and the court to ensure that the defendant's rights are respected, trying cases where there is a legitimate defense, all without having a hissy fit about how corrupt and awful the whole system is.

Nevertheless, I shall dutifully read his tale of woe and report back here.

P.S.: I am a little hurt that I didn't get an autographed copy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. A pre-reading review.

Anonymous said...

I read it already - I read fast. I liked it a lot. But then again, I'm biased in favor of the author. I do think he makes some valid criticisms of the system. There are some heartwrenching moments in there. Also some wickedly funny passages. It's a good read: it reads like a novel.
FFC (Feige's fan club).

Anonymous said...

You read?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes. In three languages: one of them is even English. Amazing, no?
FFC

Anonymous said...

I was asking Tom. Reading seems like an elitist unpatriotic exercise...

Indefensible said...

'Cmon Tom,

I'm breathless. You're right, of course in your pre-reading analysis (at least with a few modifiers) I'd add "corrupt" to cop hating, admit to prosecutor bashing and being potty-mouthed.

Anyway, I know you're honorable enough to give it a fair read even though I'm sure it'll piss you off.

Go ahead-- I await your verdict.