"And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God"
-- Micah 6:8

"The duty of the prosecutor is to seek justice, not merely to convict."
-- American Bar Association Standard 3-1.2(c)

"There may be a legitimate diversity of opinion even among Catholics about waging war and applying the death penalty, but not however with regard to abortion and euthanasia."
--Pope Benedict XVI, June 2004

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

DP Story I: Prejean Rebuffed

Lots of death penalty related news going on. First, and least important, is this story from Duluth which concerns Sister Helen Prejean, of Dead Man Walking fame, a nun who believes, with the Waldensian heretics, that all bloodshed for whatever reason is immoral, and who therefore is a strident anti-DP abolitionist. We've written about her brand of advocacy before.

It seems the Catholic diocese of Duluth has un-invited her as a speaker in the diocese, because the bishop there apparently takes seriously his duty not to engage in partisan politics. Sr. Prejean is a rabid anti-Bush agitator, who has signed onto public statements calling for his removal from office. Why?
On her Web site, [Prejean] said, "There is... one issue addressed in the ad that I cannot endorse, which if I had seen the final version of the ad would have led me to withhold my signature. My stance on abortion is a matter of public record. I stand morally opposed to killing: war, executions, killing of the old and demented, the killing of children, unborn and born." But Prejean offered no apologies for her direct criticism of the Bush administration, saying her faith demands action against Bush."I signed the ad because as a follower of the way of Jesus and a U.S. citizen, I cannot stand by passively and silently as I witness my government wage such grievous oppression and violence," Prejean wrote on her Web site. "For me, personally, it would be sinful not to raise my voice publicly in opposition to the life-destructive policies and practices of the Bush administration."

One assumes she is refering to the war against militant Islam. While I would have preferred that the bishop banned her from the diocese because of her heretical position on the death penalty and the just and proportionate use of force, it certainly is a sufficient reason that she is also a partisan hack.

HT: Jay at Pro Ecclesia

No comments: