"And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God"
-- Micah 6:8

"The duty of the prosecutor is to seek justice, not merely to convict."
-- American Bar Association Standard 3-1.2(c)

"There may be a legitimate diversity of opinion even among Catholics about waging war and applying the death penalty, but not however with regard to abortion and euthanasia."
--Pope Benedict XVI, June 2004

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A Hate Crime by any Other Name

Defense attorney: Oppose homosexuality, and you deserve to die. But hey, killing a Christian because she tried to convince you of the immorality of your lifestyle is not a hate crime. Those are reserved for only the "correct" types of victims; Christians need not apply.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She didn't die for being a Christian, she died because he took offense at the things she said to him- in other words, she died not because he was prejudiced against a group she belonged to, but because she set him off.

(Note- No, I am not condoning, excusing or allowing his conduct and if he is guilty, he can rot. But she did not die for her faith, she died because of how he perceived her individual actions.)

faithmy said...

wow--hair splitting at its finest.

Tom McKenna said...

Uhhh, yeah, and if I kill a homosexual because he is spouting pro-homosexual slogans, and "setting me off," do you think I would escape being charged with a "hate crime?" Of course not, I would be charged because I targeted this person because of his affiliation as made known to me by his statements to me.

The homosexual in this case killed this woman because she was representing the Christian Faith to him.

Anonymous said...

Faith- thanks!

Tom- Depends. Are you going to kill the guy because he is always talking to you about becoming pro-homosexual and you lose your patience with what you view as constant harassment/intimidation or are you going to kill him for no reason other than his being gay? Would you kill him if he never had any interactions with you just because he is gay? See I think that if you kill someone only because of superficial characteristics like race or gender or whatnot- if your motive is who they are and not what the have done- that makes you more dangerous. If I walk around Richmond in my yarmulke and someone decides to shoot me for no reason other than my wearing it, how can I prevent that? How can I protect myself or feel safe?

faithmy said...

If I walk around Richmond and someone shoots me because I am wearing polka dots--how do I defend myself?? Stop wearing polka dots?? As if.